Light Up Downtown, the annual holiday ELFstravaganza in downtown Canton, is happening next Thursday, Dec. 3, from 5:30-8:30 pm. Download the map here. Presented by the Canton Regional Chamber of Commerce, Light Up Downtown provides fun for the whole family, as 14 city blocks come alive with holiday-themed attractions, entertainment, refreshements and fun for children of all ages. This year's Light Up will feature Christopher Pop-In-Kins, every child's favorite elf, in a musical main stage show. In addition, the show will feature community musical and dance acts, extended fireworks, and a very special visit from Santa. Dozens of local performers will take to the main stage along Market Square (301 Market Ave. N in downtown Canton). The event pre-show, sponsored by Mix 94.1, will run from 5:30-6:00 pm, with the stage show immediately following. Fireworks are expected to start at 6:35 pm. After the show concludes, families can walk up and down Market Avenue, as local businesses open their doors to provide live entertainment, refreshments and activities. Street closings: Market Avenue will be closed to vehicular traffic as follows:
- Wednesday Dec. 2: from 3rd St. NW to 4th St. NW beginning at 3:30 pm for stage set-up.
- Thursday, Dec. 3: from 6th Street South to 6th Street North, from 3:30 to 10:30 pm.
Tuscarawas St. W. will be closed to vehicular traffic as follows:
- Thursday, Dec. 3: from Piedmont Ave. NE to Court Ave. NW at 3:30 pm
Walnut Avenue will be closed to vehicular traffic as follows:
- Thursday, Dec. 3 : from W. Tusc. to 4th St. NE
2nd, 3rd, & 4th St. NE will be closed to vehicular traffic as follows:
- Thursday, Dec. 3 from Piedmont Ave. NE to Rex Ave. NE
Parking: Parking is available on-street and in the following parking lots and decks, for a nominal fee:
- Timken High School parking lot
- Stark County District Library lot
- City Centre Parking Deck at 120 Cleveland Avenue South; enter off of West Tuscarawas; open until 10:30 pm
- NewMarket Parking Deck at 233 Market Avenue South; enter on 3rd St. SW
- Parking will not be available in the Millennium Center Parking Deck and surrounding lots due to being located in the fireworks drop zone
Winter Essentials Donations: During the event, the Canton City Fire Department will distribute winter essentials - hats, mittens, scarves and socks - to children in need at Market Ave. S and 5th St. S. Donations of new children's hats and mittens should be dropped off at the Canton Regional Chamber of Commerce, or other downtown Canton locations, through Nov. 27. Visit LightUpDowntown.com for a list of all donation locations. Event sponsors include Key Bank along with AEP Ohio, Aultman, Quonset Hut, H-P Products, Lowes, Kenan Advantage Group, The Repository, Motten and Meadows Architects, TimkenSteel, Leppo Rents, CRI Technologies, Downtown Canton Special Improvement District, the City of Canton, Metro PCS, PPI Graphics, and Mix 94.1 and 1480 WHBC. Visit LightUpDowntown.com for more details. Light Up Downtown is also on Facebook.