If you cannot view this page, please visit https://www.cantonchamber.org/scsc/blasts/feb-tip.html


Carbon Monoxide
"The Invisible Killer"

Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless and a very poisonous gas. More than 450 people die each year from accidental, non-fire related poisoning. Consumer products such as generators, vehicles / equipment, furnaces, stoves, water heaters and fire places all produce Carbon Monoxide (CO).

Carbon Monoxide is slightly lighter than air and will mix with the air in a room. Carbon Monoxide detectors should be used in buildings and air monitors in confined spaces.

Other safety factors to consider:

  • Keep running equipment/vehicles away from the HVAC systems or windows on buildings/trailers and away from ventilation intake or entrances to confined spaces to avoid pulling in exhaust and CO.
  • When engines/tools are running in a garage keep a door open. Never use portable generators indoors, or even in garages. Keep them far away from the structure.
  • Do not use an oven or gas range for heating, and no grilling in the garage.
  • Have heating systems (including chimneys and vents) inspected and serviced annually. Make sure snow, shrubs, or anything else doesn’t ever block the exhaust.

Low level exposure includes flu-like symptoms (minus the fever) such as headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea and dizziness. High level exposure includes those symptoms PLUS: mental confusion, vomiting, loss of muscle coordination, loss of consciousness and possible death. If you suspect someone is suffering from CO poisoning, quickly move the victim to fresh air and call the paramedics immediately.

1926.55(a) Exposure of employees to inhalation, ingestion, skin absorption, or contact with any material or substance at a concentration above those specified in the "Threshold Limit Values of Airborne Contaminants for 1970" of the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists, shall be avoided.

CLICK HERE to download the optional Safety Talk form for your workplace.