As we begin to talk about the region’s overall assets and positioning, the term Akron-Canton Metroplex has been described as a way of talking about our physical proximity and connectedness, while still retaining our unique sense of place and separate infrastructures. While we are a region made up of individual cities, broad townships and unique county infrastructures, we believe we can retain that individuality while leveraging a well-connected, growing Akron-Canton region.
- Similar communities with two cities in proximity to each other have worked together successfully, including the DFW Metroplex and the Twin Cities.
- Akron-Canton shares a workforce. In fact, 40% of our workforce crosses county lines each day to get to work.
- Akron-Canton shares a number of assets, including the Akron-Canton Airport, the I-77 Corridor, major hospitals, and higher education institutions.
- Akron-Canton has geographic proximity. Only 23 miles separates our downtowns.
- Akron-Canton shares employers, attractions, a national park and much more!
You'll be hearing much more about the Akron-Canton Metroplex in the months to come.